Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Homemade Soursop Ice Cream


I made soursop ice cream on Saturday!

Last week one of my sisters-in-law told me she had a soursop from her tree that was ready. It was quite hard so I left it to sit on my counter for a few days. By Friday night it was getting soggy so I cut it open and scooped out all the yummy flesh and took out the seeds. This thing had about a million seeds. I mushed it all around and then added some condensed milk, a touch of lime juice and a little vanilla to it and put it all in the fridge.

Saturday I gave it to my mother to taste. Her first response was that it was too thick - I hadn't yet added the milk. Then she said I had to separate the trash from the flesh. When reading online that sounded like an easy enough task but it turned out not to be. I tried to squish it against the side of the colander but that lasted for about three seconds. Then I tried using my fingers to squeegy off the pulp but that lasted for about three pieces. Finally, I dumped some of it in the blender with some milk and pureed it. That thinned it out a bit but it still wouldn't go through the colander, so I added more milk. LOTS more milk.

Oops... wrong move because it diluted the taste too much. I've never been one for moderation when it comes to cooking, or in this case ice cream making.

Finally, though I got it all through the blender, through the colander, back through the blender, through the colander, through the blender again on whip to give it some air bubbles, then into some yogurt containers and into the freezer. After a few hours I went and stirred the half frozen ice cream and placed it back in the freezer.

Sunday I took my mother's share over to her. She said it needed more condensed milk but she likes things super sweet. My other sister-in-law, not the one I got the sweetsop from, said it tasted pretty good. Matthew and my niece liked it.

My conclusion is it tastes good but needs less milk next time and it would be much better if it was frozen in an ice cream maker. But all-in-al, homemade ice cream is totally the way to go!

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream? And do you prefer homemade or store bought?

Cheers :-)
- Rainforest Mommy

* I forgot to take pictures. Soursop image is from Pokka.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Ok, what the heck is soursop???

LisaDay said...

Hee, hee comment by Kerri. I am not a patient women when it comes to pureeing and blending, which is why I don't make creamed soups. So store bought Kawartha dairy ice cream is for me.

LisaDay