Sunday, August 8, 2010

I'm So Excited!

And I just can't hide it!

(Sorry, that song, and don't ask me the name of it or who sings it, just popped into my head.)

So, I'm really, super, excited. Late last year I bought a second house. It's a small wooden structure, 12 feet by 20 feet, and it's been sitting out here since December 12th. I'll always remember the date it got set up because it was my 35th birthday.

Maybe I need to explain all this. Please bear with me. Houses here are often wooden structures that are built offsite and then delivered when they are ready. My first house is 18 feet by 20 feet and it's one big room and the bathroom. When I first moved here and had this house built I lived alone and it worked out well. However, as Matthew has gotten bigger we've sort of outgrown the space. I'm really good at jigsaw puzzles and have managed to keep the house looking spacious with all our combined "stuff" but we just need more room.

So, I bought the second house. It was built by old style Mennonites who have no electricity and run their saw mill with horses. It's all very cool to see. After it was delivered though I hit a small financial snag and connecting it to the first house was put on hold for a while. That while is over.

I placed the second house at a 45 degree angle to the first one not really thinking about how much floor space that was going to put between the two houses. And then just because I like to be difficult I had the new house set two feet higher than the first one. (Actually that was so that I'd stop hitting my head when I went under the house.) In the end the front corners are about 4.5 feet apart but the back space is 20 feet wide. Basically, I've tripled my house size.

The first house will be divided into two bedrooms and the bathroom and the second house will be the kitchen and family room. The space between will eventually have a roof and grill to enclose the whole thing. More decks will also be added on to the front and back and possibly the side as time and money permit. I'm also going to start saving again to add one more house, again at a 45 degree angle to the second one, and the accompanying decks.

The construction of the deck should be finished tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll post pictures in the next few days.

Cheers :-)
- Rainforest Mommy

4 comments:

Shero said...

Oh wow! That sounds pretty awesome and I can't wait to see the pictures. Yay!

MommyLisa said...

Yup - I need pictures. I want to see that!

LisaDay said...

I, too, want pictures. I, too, am super excited for you and now I have that stupid song in my head.

LisaDay

Kerri said...

I was going to say....I need photos!!! I'm not visual, so I cn't picture anything you're saying! It drives me crazy!! But CONGRATULATIONS!!!!