Saturday, July 3, 2010

Loss

Monster Fast Asleep_July 1, 2010

Today was a horrible day. The two rottweiler puppies I'm hand raising woke me at 5 a.m. I fed them their breakfast and settled them. I got back into bed hoping for a few more hours sleep but the little one, Monster, kept whining and whining. He hadn't really eaten anything so I started over with him to see if he was now ready for his milk. He again turned his face so I put him back in his bed and tried to go to my bed. He started whining again. So I scratched his ears and back. That settled him and he went to sleep. Less than five minutes later though, he started again. I scratched some more and offered him the bottle again.

This went on for nearly two hours. I tried everything I could think of to settle him down. I warmed his rice bag in the microwave. I gave him some gripe water. I repeatedly offered him the bottle. Nothing really worked but he eventually settled a little.

By 10 a.m. he was getting worse and worse so I took him to the vet. He thought he might have an infection because his tail hadn't dropped off yet. He cut it off, which I was very grateful for because that part just grosses me out, gave him an antibiotic and vitamin supplements and we came home. Throughout the afternoon he just got weaker and weaker. He tried sucking his milk but didn't have the strength. I tried the eye dropper that had worked before with him and I gave him his antibiotic. I even mixed up a new formula that I read about online but that didn't interest him either.

Monster died this evening.

Last week when his brother's and sisters died it was sad but I just buried them and moved on. This time it was so different because he was in the house, living beside my bed. I talked to him and rubbed him and played with him. This time it hurts.

Thank God there is one last puppy here to occupy my mind. Brutus is a fat, greedy, little boy.

Cheers :-(
- Rainforest Mommy

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I am SO sorry. Oh my gosh. That's just sad. Our 4 month old black lab ran under my hubby's truck about 3 weeks ago. It was HORRIFYING. He had a broken pelvis and needed surgery on his hip. It's awful to see them suffer! I'm so sorry for your loss.

LisaDay said...

I am so sorry. That really sucks. I hope Brutus makes it through.

LisaDay